Thursday, July 3, 2008

Purple Veggies

There a few purple veggies out there such as eggplant, purple onions and cabbage but cauliflower? I could not believe my eyes when I saw these cauliflowers.

They were developed by Syngenta - a world-leading agri-business committed to sustainable agriculture through innovative research & technology.

The colors are not food dye but came after decades of traditional selective breeding. The orange color comes from high concentration of beta carotene, a form of vitamin A that encourages healthy skin. The purple color comes from anthocyanin, which may help prevent heart disease by slowing blood clotting. The green comes from chlorophyll that is also found in broccoli.

I am not a huge veggie fan but I would not mind trying these since I do like cauliflower. You may have already seen the green variety in the grocery store. The other colors are being sold in Britain. Hopefully they will be coming our way soon.

No comments: